album announcement : grace potter and the nocturnals

February 22, 2010

Vermont rocktress Grace Potter is back with her Nocturnals to release their third LP album, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals. Due out on Hollywood Records, the 13-track album will be released June 8th. Produced by Mark Batson (Dr. Dre, Eminem, Jay-Z, Dave Matthews Band), the new album showcases the band’s new five-piece configuration.

“This record is the first time it’s really been us — the first time we’ve all found each other and ourselves,” says Potter. Drummer Matt Burr adds, “Every record you make, you always say, ‘This is the one.’ But with this lineup we’ve cracked the code.”

album artwork

UPDATE:
The first single off the album is the musically powerful and thematically resonant “Tiny Light,” one of six Potter-Batson co-writes. During its course, the track builds from a simmer to a boil and then somehow hits an even more scorching level of intensity during an extended instrumental outro.

“It’s a song about hope during the hard times we’ve been going through,” Grace explains. “One line is ‘What will come of all our pride / This house of stone has crumbled from the inside.’ It has a dramatic minor-key melody, but it opens up into a chorus that takes you to this really soaring place. As much as I loved it when we wrote it, I resisted recording it at first. But in the end I couldn’t pass it up. The chorus goes, ‘I see a tiny light / Like a flashbulb sparkle in the night / I see a tiny light / Telling everyone to hold on tight.’ It makes you wonder; it makes you look in the mirror — and I love songs like that.”

According to Potter, the producer employed one of his signature radical moves to get the optimum take: “Normally, a band and producer would fuss and poke and prod for days on a song like this, but once we got the arrangement right, Batson just brought in a belly dancer with a 15-foot python snake to perform in the studio. That seemed to light a fire under everyone’s asses and we nailed it on the spot.”

Additionally, GPN’s electrifying take of Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” appears on the Buena Vista Records release Almost Alice, a companion release to Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, hitting March 2, three days before the film’s release.

The band will showcase its new lineup and songs at SXSW, where they’ll play Antone’s March 18 as part of the Americana Music Association showcase. Potter will also perform on a string of Lilith Fair dates this summer. More details as they emerge.

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals marks a quantum leap for the band, as Batson vividly captures a group of exceptional young players in the very act of becoming themselves. From the languorous “Oasis to the deep-grooved, serrated rockers like “Medicine,” “Paris” and “Only Love,” the new model Grace Potter and the Nocturnals positively swagger. Not only that, but the hooks are humongous, from Potter’s voice as she belts, teases and soars to Tournet’s uncoiling guitar riffs, positively lethal in their aggressiveness. Potter and her cohorts are equally captivating at the other end of the dynamic and thematic spectrum, on songs like the zeitgeist-capturing widescreen ballad “Colors.”
END UPDATE

The video for the bands first single “Tiny Light” is being shot in L.A. this month, with Paul Minor (Muse, The Editors, Queens of The Stone Age) directing.

ed: Check out Paul’s work at Streetgang Films – I’m thinking they’ll do something like QOTSA did for “3′s and 7′s” right? Faster GPN, Kill KIll!

The band will showcase many of their new songs at SXSW, where they’ll play Antone’s March 18 as part of the Americana Music Association showcase.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals’ tracklisting:

3/21 Aspen, CO @ Snowmass Mountain
3/27 Jackson Hole, WY @ Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
4/25 Phoenix, AZ @ McDowell Mountain Music Festival
4/14 Richmond, VA @ Browns Island

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

1 NolaMar February 22, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Oh man!!!! I’m gonna be in the Austin area next week but not at late as the 18th. Will miss them by less than 2 weeks. SO CLOSE! But way too far to go back. DRAT!!!

2 toofarnorth February 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm

First single being “Tiny Light” is interesting .. since it’s near the top of my new song favorites I’m very happy . . entire track list is making me smile actually.

3 Steph February 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm

June?! What the fart?! Crap on a stick! I was so hoping for April. Oh well…anyway…all exciting good news ‘cept the longer wait. Mama needs a new pair’a’ shows and a new album!

4 Steph February 22, 2010 at 11:19 pm

June?! What the fart?! Crap on a stick! I was so hoping for April. Oh well…anyway…all exciting good news ‘cept the longer wait. Mama needs a new pair’a’ shoes and a new album!

5 Steph February 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Woop – double clutch. Stupid ‘puter.

6 Helen February 23, 2010 at 1:19 am

The album art is up on the Nocturnals site….it leaves something to be desired (reality?). I’m stoked about the track listing though…

7 Dollar Bill February 23, 2010 at 5:09 am

I’m sorry to see that Fooling Myself is not one of the 13 tracks. It’s a beautiful song that is as good if not better than anything on the album!

8 Smackie February 23, 2010 at 7:18 am

Well, I’ve heard Paris of course…I was hoping for some Every Mile / Delta love on this album….but apparently not :(

I’m sure the other songs are good too.

9 Kired February 23, 2010 at 7:50 am

To quote Veruca Salt “I want it NOW!”

10 Todd February 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

Love it! I want it now too … But I ain’t got much. Soon as it comes out I have less to look forward to!

11 Wally February 23, 2010 at 9:49 am

Is this the final, drop dead date or are we going to get another “update” in May saying “its been delayed again….”? I’ll believe it when I have it in my warm hands……..glad we’ve (well most of us) all heard these tunes numerous times so far. Hope they sound as good on a CD as they do live!!

12 joester February 23, 2010 at 10:13 am

to be honest – I’m looking forward to the upcoming show in Arizona more than the album release (just me being honest, have not yet seen Cat or Benny).
I’m pretty sure the delayed release date is because the band wants the CD
to be “money” (as in “perfect”).
once released – look out world!
the nights in small clubs may be coming to an end……

13 Steph February 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

Well yeah, I’m always way more into seeing a band live than owning their recorded work. But…a new album means a supporting tour, means more shows and hopefully in SF! Or maybe, even better, Fox Theater here in Oaktown. Didn’t the small club thing come to an end awhile ago, at least as far as the entire band is concerned? Maybe not back east. I guess it depends what you consider a smaller club too.

14 Tiana February 23, 2010 at 11:12 am

Don’t get me wrong, I’m just as in love with Grace as much–if not more–than most people…but I’d kinda like to see the band in more light on that picutre. They almost blend so far into the background that if I didn’t already know what they looked like I wouldn’t be able to tell who they are :/

On a side note though, I am super excited about the tracks and can’t wait to hear the studio version since I am already used to the live stuff. In the meantime I will just wait patiently wait like everyone else!

15 Patrick February 23, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Awesome. Two questions; Is the Paris that is going to be on this release a new studio version, or the one that was on the Japanese release? Also, What ever happened to Watching You?

16 Ike February 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Thumbs down for me on the cover.
But I cannot wait until June 8th

Last summer I saw the band in Savannah and it was definitely a small hole-in-the-wall joint.

Patrick I also miss Watching You plus Sugar, and Your Time is Gonna Come. I hope they come back

17 Mr Columbus February 23, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I do hope that someday they’ll release Delta, Sugar, Watching You and even Margery. Of course, what I REALLY hope is that someday they’ll be back within 200 miles of here and I’ll get notified in time to get the time off.

18 Karen February 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I love the cover. It’s very classy (but I voted Zoolander so am not disappointed).

19 chris February 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm

who else here is guilty of already knowing the words to all 13 songs on an album that doesnt come out until june? raise your hand!

20 toofarnorth February 24, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Since the CD cover wasn’t up when I commented before . . .
I like it – a lot actually – kind of a glam/edgy attitude.
If I wasn’t familiar with the band and saw that in store racks, in my Amazon email, on Spinner, etc. etc it would make me curious enough to have a listen . . . and that’s a cover’s job right ?

21 Bill February 27, 2010 at 10:22 am

The cover is outstanding. If only it came in vinyl. I keep forgetting Paris wasn’t on This is Somewhere. I must’ve got it as a bonus track from iTunes or something.

22 shark March 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Grace reminds me of Gwen Stefani in that cover photo.