We want to apologize for the unfortunate cancellation of the trio of shows scheduled for the end of March (Revolution Hall, 8×10, and Mr. Small’s). GPN and bassist Bryan Dondero have recently parted ways. Bryan is an important part of the band’s growth over these last five years, and he will be missed and not easily replaced. We thank everyone for understanding and look forward to playing for you this summer.
T.S. Eliot – The Love Song Of J Alfred Prufrock
I had not recalled this poem in quite sometime until a friend mentioned the title. A powerful story about life’s choices, indecision, the potential for regret and the fear of pursuing dreams and so much more. It’s difficult to pick a single part to highlight, but here goes anyway.
And would it have been worth it, after all,
After the cups, the marmalade, the tea,
Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it toward some overwhelming question,
To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
If one, settling a pillow by her head,
Should say: “That is not what I meant at all.
That is not it, at all.”
Gathering thoughts on something like this is quite difficult isn’t it? Still.
– I thought the Theramin was cheesy, until I actually heard it. Then I thought it added a very interesting texture to the guitar/keyboard mix and brought something special to the sound.
– I will forever remember the yodeling pickle.
– Facilitating Bryan’s meeting with Brendan Canty, Fugazi drummer and one of Bryan’s formative bands – was great. Better to give than receive.
– I’ve been struck recently by what a great writer Bryan is. I don’t know why I’m surprised.
– Over a year and a half of “knowing” Bryan – virtually in the beginning and then in the real world I was always struck by how decent he was. A decent person. That word isn’t used so often any more and has somewhat lost its meaning over time but I think that Bryan epitomizes what the word decent was supposed to mean.
Good luck Bryan, you will be missed.
“Funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way. Eat a peach”
– Neil Young to Stephen Stills on dropping out on the 1976 tour